Opening a Business in Palm Springs: Getting Started

Opening a business in a new city can be very daunting.  In order to assure a smooth opening, the following steps are recommended by the City of Palm Springs:

  1. Make Contact with a Planning Department Professional. Provide the address of the site you are considering and get a zoning clearance. Different zones allow different business. You don’t want to sign a lease in a zone that doesn’t allow your type of business. 
  2. Pay your Business License Tax. You’ll do this after receiving a zoning clearance. Print an application from the City’s Business License Department.   You should budget anywhere between $300 to over $900, depending on the number of your employees. Contractors and Professional Businesses are charged on a separate fee scale. Please contact a Business License Department Professional for a list of fees. 
  3. Zoning Sign-off. Once you pay your Business License you need to take it back to a Planning Department Professional and have it signed off. 
  4. Need a Sign? A Planning Department Professional will be happy to assist you in determining your signage needs.   Sign permit fees can range from $315 to $958 for multi-tenant complexes. A Planning Department Professional can provide more information if you are located in a multi-tenant complex.   Temporary Signs & Banners will run $34 and may be used ONLY ONCE AND ONLY FOR 30 CONSECUTIVE DAYS. 
  5. Restaurants -Grease trap – If you need a grease trap, a Building Department Professional will be happy to guide you.   Outdoor seating requires a “Land Use Permit” (LUP) which costs $696 unless the restaurant you are leasing has an existing LUP that you may transfer for $122.   Restaurants must also contact the Riverside County Health Department (RCHD) to obtain a list of their requirements and fees. RCHD approval is required for the building department to issue a permit.   The ABC (Alcohol & Beverage Control) must be contacted if you wish to provide liquor in your restaurant. 
  6. Building Alterations & Expansions – Any time the exterior of a commercial building is altered on the outside or whenever a building is enlarged, the City requires Architectural Review. For more information on alterations and/or expansions, please contact a Planning Department Professional. A Minor Architectural approval is required for exterior alterations that do not add square footage to the building. An application is available on the City’s website.

I hope you find this information helpful in opening your business in the City of Palm Springs. City staff really wants to create a positive experience in opening a business in this amazing city. For more information go to their website at City of Palm Springs Information.

Best regards,

John Pivinski
Vision Marketing of Palm Springs

1 comment to Opening a Business in Palm Springs: Getting Started

  • When it comes to security platforms, specially for companies, I need to agree with what you’ve said completely. You will discover so many options on the market, it really is vital for any specialist to be aware what is bestfor his or her situation in addition to specific complex. The remarks you’re presenting really are a great assist to businesses and also security experts similarly. Thanks again!