View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Palm Springs Member

Cost Plus market relocating in Palm Springs
BY MICHELLE MITCHELL PALM SPRINGS SUN MAY 9, 2008
Palm Springs shoppers will soon have a new option for buying furniture, specialty foods, international wines and a smorgasbord of other goods.
Cost Plus World Market is leaving Palm Desert and relocating to Smoke Tree Commons, 2465 E. Palm Canyon Drive. After about 20 years on Town Center Way, the store is expected to close sometime in June.
Its La Quinta location, near the intersection of Highway 111 and Adams Street, will remain open.
"We need a little more distance between the two stores," General Manager Jane Lang said.
Employees will move to the Palm Springs location, and about 25 staff positions are open to help with the move, Lang said.
"Certainly with the population spreading out, more retailers are going to have an opportunity to have multiple locations," Palm Desert Economic Development Manager Ruth Ann Moore said. She said she doesn't see businesses moving out of the city in favor of other valley locations as a trend.
"We still are the center of the valley, geographically, and that does afford us to work with some really good businesses and bring them in."
There is no word yet on what will happen with the current Cost Plus storefront.
In the meantime, the Palm Desert store is holding a "relocation sale" and offering 10 percent to 30 percent discounts on most items, with some products listed at 50 percent off.
"I'm sad that this one's leaving because it's right down the street from my house," Palm Desert resident Jeri Lynne said as she purchased several glass dishes.
She said she'll still make the drive to La Quinta.
"I love this store," she said. "I'll go anywhere for this store."
Read reactions to this story

greekboy62 wrote:
Now thats a switch-a retailer moving from Palm Desert to Palm Springs!

5/10/2008 8:07:18 AM