The Village Green Heritage Center, which stands in a lovely park-like setting amid the hotels, shops and restaurants of legendary Palm Canyon Drive, is comprised of two 19 century pioneer homes.
The McCallum Adobe, the oldest remaining building in Palm Springs, was built in 1884 for John McCallum, the first permanent white settler. Adobe houses were rare in the desert because few people knew how to make the bricks. The McCallum Adobe exhibits an extensive collection of photographs, paintings, clothing, tools, books and Indian ware from the earliest days of Palm Springs.
Miss Cornelia's "Little House" was built by the city's first hotel proprietor, Dr. Welwood Murray, in 1893. The house was constructed of railroad ties from the defunct Palmdale Railway and purchased by the sisters Miss Cornelia White and Dr. Florilla White in 1913. In 1961, the Palm Springs Historical Society acquired the home and furnished it with antiques donated by local residents. The "Little House" now stands in the Village Green Heritage Center on Palm Canyon Drive as an accurate representation of the pioneer era in Palm Springs: